Thursday, November 6, 2008

Ultrasound Appt: Week 20

I know, I know.......it's been over a month since I have posted any news. Don't worry, all has been well and thanks to a few folks I was reminded that I hadn't "blogged" in quite a while I am finally getting caught back up. I have been quite busy with transferring jobs (I'm back in Newnan. Yay!) and it's seems like the days are shorter and shorter! I'm sure everyone is aware by now that Michael and I are having a BOY! I knew it all along and just had a "gut" feeling, however it was confirmed at my 20 wk. appt that was on October 8th. Well, actually we didn't find out until the following night over dinner at Franks. On the day of my appt. Michael was able to get off work and come with me. We agreed that we would have the ultrasound done, however would not peek at the screen. It took a bit of arm twisting and threats to convince Mike of this plan, however I'm still not 100% sure that he didn't sneak a peek during the ultrasound. The technician was able to examine the baby and we were relieved to know that everything appeared normal. They were able to rule out chances of a cleft pallet, the head was in normal proportion, his legs and arms are developing normally and they were also able to confirm that there were no signs of dwarfism. After all of the "important" screenings were performed it was then time to find out the gender. I spoke up quickly to inform our technician that WE did not want to know the gender and instead we wanted her to place the ultrasound picture in a red envelope that I had brought with me. I had also clipped out 2 pictures from a magazine, one of a baby girl and one of a baby boy. I did this because Ava (Mike's 5 yr old niece) was assigned the job of announcing the news over dinner. I figured it would be easier for her to see an actual picture as opposed to an ultrasound. So, there we were inches from the ultrasound screen. I turned my head and Mike had his eyes covered by his hands........and mine. I swears that he didn't peek, even if he had I'm not sure if he would know what he was looking for! I can say that at that point it didn't make a difference to me what the gender was. It was simply amazing to know that our baby was healthy (and not a dwarf ) :)
Before we left we met with Dr. Cook who said that everything looked great. Our ultrasound technician handed us our sealed and taped envelope and had written "Congratulations" on the front. We were also given a few more ultrasound pictures, one of his foot and the other of his profile. He looked perfect : )
The car ride home was definitely an anxious one! We made our usual phone calls to moms, sisters and brothers to let them know that all went well. Now, all we had to do wait 1 more day..........easy enough. YEA RIGHT!
Mike and I fought over who would hold on to the envelope until then. It was passed from hand to hand all night. Mike even took it to work with him, but not before I re-sealed it with tape and stickers to ensure that he wouldn't open it up!

No comments: